Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Silly Goose ~~~

We all enjoy having fun with our children. So why when we finally get home at the end of a grueling day, do we suddenly transform into the stern and dour ‘eat your vegetables’ and ‘get ready for bath time’ toddler police? Sure, it’s easy to get bogged down in the stress of adulthood; but it is not wholly unrealistic to pencil in a little time for silliness with my child everyday.

Even when I feel as though my brain is reduced to little more than a quivering, overworked blob of mush, I can still spark my silly cells. All it takes is a little encouragement from the sayings and expressions of my dear, sweet Ayden. Sometimes they alone can be an endless source of delight. Ayden is big on silliness….I really am expecting a rough time once real school starts, because he will definitely be the class clown. He loves making faces (as seen in my last post), telling jokes (that we laugh at regardless), role playing, and just laughing. His zest and enthusiasm for new and fun discoveries is infectious (this includes his newest discovery…the joys of buttoning your own pants). You truly never know what to expect when he is talking. This week has produced “hot” waitresses, “stinky” weenies (which he had for lunch at school….actually beanie weenies), lots of “sapearing” (disappearing), okie dokie ala jokie, and on and on.

One of Ayden’s most recent discoveries is being sneaky. The other morning on the way out the door to school he spotted Daddy’s box of Milk Duds. I literally saw him stop, look around to see if Daddy was watching, grab the box, and start the scrunched down tiptoe walk. He looked up at me and said, “Hurry, hurry I got Daddy’s candy”. The candy made it through the ride to Mimi’s, honestly I don’t even think he eats that kind because it is too chewy. He just enjoyed basking in the glory of making it out of the house with them in hand. Maybe I should not have found this humorous, but his sheer determination was intriguing. So last night (two days later) Daddy decides he should ask at the dinner table with no prompting, “Where are my Milk Duds?” I looked at Ayden, then at Mimi, then back to Ayden and we three busted out laughing with Chris clueless on the opposite end of the table. Ayden’s little hand immediately covered his snickering mouth and the mischievous look returned to his eyes. “Hey Daddy, I took ‘em….they’re at Mimi’s”. Mimi promptly replied that yes, they were at her house and Ayden had only tried one. He decided that it was too chewy and pulled it directly out of his mouth and put it back in the box. Happy candy eating, Daddy!

1 comment:

dorway said...

I want one...!!!!
Never mind, it would only be a DUD!!!!

Love y'as Great Grands