I will be the first one to admit that I think customer service is one of the most important things in a business, especially one dealing with the public. Friendliness, greeting, thanks, and hellos are typically always welcome from me. There is not anything that frustrates me more than having to stand and wait for a clerk to finish their tale of their evening affairs, prior to being helped.
BUT, a couple of weeks back I was struck hard by the semi obnoxiousness of the new greeting by one of our local grocery stores. It was one of those afternoon, quick stops (that is questionable?) on the way home. You know the ones….leave work, stop and pick up Ayden from school, carry on my merry way for a grab-a-few-items and go. Hmmm…I should have known that I was wrong. As soon as I pulled in the parking place, the eerie silence from the back seat should have struck me as strange. Because, we all know that my son is not quiet…at all! Anyways, off we go….into the store and Ayden of course insists he needs the cart with the attached car. (I would love to know who invented these. I think the inventor should try pushing their child around in them on overcrowded aisles with a zero turn radius.) Oops, that is another tangent altogether!

BUT, a couple of weeks back I was struck hard by the semi obnoxiousness of the new greeting by one of our local grocery stores. It was one of those afternoon, quick stops (that is questionable?) on the way home. You know the ones….leave work, stop and pick up Ayden from school, carry on my merry way for a grab-a-few-items and go. Hmmm…I should have known that I was wrong. As soon as I pulled in the parking place, the eerie silence from the back seat should have struck me as strange. Because, we all know that my son is not quiet…at all! Anyways, off we go….into the store and Ayden of course insists he needs the cart with the attached car. (I would love to know who invented these. I think the inventor should try pushing their child around in them on overcrowded aisles with a zero turn radius.) Oops, that is another tangent altogether!
Anywho….after being greeted by an ever so pleasant, “Welcome to our “establishment”” I grab my few items and of course Ayden ends up out of the crazy car, because he wants to walk…or help push…or run…or jump…or something. I am actually nearing the end of my grocery trip with no drama ~~ oh, wait here it comes! So, let me just mention here that this was the week directly after Easter. This lends itself to the idea that we have two huge baskets full of candy at home awaiting our arrival. Check-out lines have loads of candy, sweets, and just junk lining them. I have to say this is a great marketing tool, BUT it is also a major punishment for the moms with children in tow. When I say punishment….I mean big time! My little Reese cup monster decides that he just has to have his vice. Who cares if there are 500 Reese cups at home just begging to be eaten? Well, in this case it was me! I denied the purchase of Reese cup, number 501, due to the overabundance of them currently at the house. Thus, begins the Tantrum 101 Session. Tears, a quick drop of his whole body on the concrete floor, and the whole “you’re not my best friend” bit. Did I mention we were at the counter and I was trying to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt thingy?
Well, silly me, decides the best thing to do is to pick up my screaming child out of the floor while unloading. Guess what the cashier says, “Welcome to our “establishment”. Did you find everything you needed?”. I must have missed the aisle with the Behavior Spray, because obviously at this point I have my hands full with a four-year-old. I am still unloading…feeling as if my blood pressure is through the roof and my hair is probably turning gray on the spot. I forgot to tell you that at this point Ayden is now hitting me and kicking as well.
I then hear this small voice, not because it was low but because Ayden is screaming in my ear and I can hardly even hear myself thinking. “M’am, do you have your rewards card?” Are you joking? This is when I completely lost my cool…and tossed my keys towards the poor cashier. I can’t even remember her handing them back…I was just too frustrated. After swiping my card, trying to sign a receipt (which ended up looking like a squiggly mess), readjusting my thirty pound wriggling, crying load, I headed off to the door. But, not before hearing this young cashier saying, “Thank-you and we will see you soon”. I am really glad it was not her first day of work, because I am sure she would have ran and quit her job right then and there. Oh, did I forget to mention….I live in a very small town with only two grocery stores; which means no matter how embarrassed I was, I have to go back. Man…I sure hope I can find a babysitter or at least a gallon of Reese cups before I have to take that
1 comment:
Everyone has their own ideas about how to handle screeming children.
Good luck!!
love Grt Grnds
Post a Comment