Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ayden's 4th Birthday



Dear Ayden,

When I look at you today with your cute smiling face, I wish Superman would fly around the world fast enough to pause this moment for a while.

When you were a baby, I used to tuck you tight into my arms with your softest blankie, kiss your face, and sing to you. I loved this so much, because you really seemed to appreciate it. You would look up at me with your little baby face and smile a huge toothless grin, and then promptly fall asleep before the sleepy smile had time to fade. Many nights, I held you a little while longer after you'd fallen asleep just so I could stare at your beautiful baby self.

These days, when it's late at night, I tiptoe over to you to give you one last kiss goodnight. Often you will somehow know that I am there without ever opening your eyes. You fling your arms outward and catch me in a hug. And I stay a little while longer until after you've fallen back asleep just to try and make sure I'll always remember how it feels to be hugged by your little boy arms.

You are such a comedian….or goofball as you like to say. Sometimes, when you say things, I have to remind myself that you did not travel to Earth from some distant planet; touching down from outer space ready to do battle with the Decepticons, while slinging your Spidey webs, sailing your pirate ship, and fighting various dinosaurs, crocodiles, and sharks with your swords and giant Hulk muscles. You are definitely the King of All Wild Things.

Although, you do have a sensitive side. Absolutely nothing is better than when you look up at me or Daddy and say, “You know what? I sure love you!” In the midst of your undercover tender heart I have learned the hard way only to yell at you softly. It nearly broke my heart the time I had to put you in timeout while you were wearing your Spiderman costume. With the Spidey mask on, the only part of your face I could see was two tear filled eyes. All I wanted to do was scoop you into my lap and squeeze you tight. But then you'd learn that the consequence for your naughtiness is a hug from Mommy, so off to timeout you went (but you were let out early for playing the pity card so well).

Keep on saving the world from bad guys, little dude. I'll keep on kissing you goodnight.

Love always and forever,
Mommy

2 comments:

We are a blessed family! said...

Leah this is the sweetest thing I've ever read. I find myself missing those toothless smiles and the giggle that only a baby can give. You and Chris are GREAT parents and I'm so glad that I have been given the opportunity to know Ayden. Can't wait to be there at the Spiderman Party Sat.

dorway said...

Memories!!!
A mother's love has no bounds, lovely sentinent..Momma.

Love Grt Grnds