Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Believe there are Angels Among Us!


“See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”- Jesus (Matthew 18:10)



This is a verse that has been in my head this week, due to Ayden speaking of knowing someone is watching over him at night while he is in bed to sleep. Jesus spoke these words just after he had finished giving a teaching on the kingdom of heaven. As illustration, he had a child stand in front of all the gathered adults, and he said “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.” (Matthew 18:3-6)




What an amazing passage! Yet so typical of Jesus, to turn conventional wisdom upside down… to take the smallest and most defenseless member of a community and say “be like this person”.
But back to the original verse. What jumps out at me is: “their angels always see the face of my Father”. Children don’t have just one guardian angel, they have many, and they always have immediate access to God.


It makes me wonder. I know so little of angels. I believe they exist, but I don’t believe they look anything like the little pins sold in Hallmark stores. Real angels are so majestic and powerful that humans who have met them have been immediately frightened. “Fear not” are always the first words out of the mouths of angels speaking to humans.


But I wonder… can angels whisper in our ears without us knowing? Do they help direct our thoughts to God? How many of our childhood angels remain with us throughout our lives? How many times has my life been spared because the angels assigned to me were doing their jobs and doing them well? When a child is injured is it because an angel was somehow distracted?
I wish we knew more about angels. Someday we will. In the meantime one thing I think I know: it can’t hurt to pray for our children’s angels, and for the angels of those we love, asking the Father to help them guide and keep us.

1 comment:

dorway said...

WOW!!!

Love Grt Grnds