Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A gift from my son

As I am sitting at my desk today, I have the ultimate pleasure of staring at a gift from my dear Ayden. Hmmm....wanna know what it is?

My favorite thing in the world (yes, I am being sarcastic)is sitting directly by my stapler! I have a jar with four rolie polies gazing at me. I tried to share with Julia, but she is too humble to accept my offer. Oh, rats! I think I need a new stapler now ----

Here are some rolie polie facts for you to learn:

· Pillbugs have three body regions: head, thorax, and abdomen
· A pillbug is 5-15 mm long
· They have seven pairs of legs, all identical
· Most of the body is covered with shield-like plates
· A pillbugs skeleton is a hard outer skin
· Pillbugs are cold blooded. Body temperature depends on the environmental temperature
· Females may produce up to 200 eggs which are carried uner the thorax in a "brood pouch" · The young look like miniature adults
· They may roll into a ball when disturbed when humidity is low.

Pillbugs molt, shedding their old skin and producing a new one. How often depends upon temperature, diet, and other factors. These little, lovely creatures are technically not even a bug. They are a crustacean, just like a lobster, etc.


Hope you enjoyed your learning session for the day! Please keep me in your prayers, because I need serious strength to stare at these things all day.

1 comment:

dorway said...

Don't let it BUG ya, Momma!!!

Love Grt Grnds