A quirk is defined as a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism.
We are all unique individuals, having quirks helps make us who we are.
One of my favorite things about children is that they are ultra quirky. They take on the world with lots of gusto and wide-eyed wonder, and they bring uninhibited passion to their interests: be it collecting rocks, or eating bread only with the crusts removed.
Toddlers in particular seem to develop habits and behaviors that at any other time in their lives would be considered totally strange, but at the age of 2 or 3 are par for the course. It's reassuring to read about the weird fascinations and fixations of other people's kids or even themselves--because they make me feel, as the parent of a little one, just a tad more normal. So, I think I shall help out the many others that read this.
We are all unique individuals, having quirks helps make us who we are.
One of my favorite things about children is that they are ultra quirky. They take on the world with lots of gusto and wide-eyed wonder, and they bring uninhibited passion to their interests: be it collecting rocks, or eating bread only with the crusts removed.
Toddlers in particular seem to develop habits and behaviors that at any other time in their lives would be considered totally strange, but at the age of 2 or 3 are par for the course. It's reassuring to read about the weird fascinations and fixations of other people's kids or even themselves--because they make me feel, as the parent of a little one, just a tad more normal. So, I think I shall help out the many others that read this.
AYDEN'S QUIRKS:
* Ayden gets really obsessed with certain characters from movies/books. His “Buzz Lightyear” phase started recently and now his favorite saying is, “to infinity and beyond”. He also has gotten back to the Cars stage where Lighting McQueen is the greatest car in the world. Ka-Chowww! He loves to watch Toy Story and Cars, even though he’s seen both a hundred times. He takes one or two (of many!) of these toys to bed with him every night. (Not to mention our dear friend Spiderman)
* I’ve mentioned this before, but it just begs to be included here, too. Ayden has a very strong will, especially when it comes to clothing choices. He definitely has a unique dress style. I decided ages ago that this is not a battle worth fighting. It causes both of us too much stress, so I generally just let him wear what he likes. Despite the sideways glances and comments we get in public sometimes.
* This boy is just like his mother. Getting a picture here, people? Like me, Ayden has slight OCD tendencies. He’s also a perfectionist, he thrives on routine (always has) and he hates to be wrong.
* He’s a stickler for the rules. Big time. This really comes into play when he has friends around. Many times I have observed him in this “mother hen” role. Basically, he loves routine and structure and knowing-what-is-coming-next so much so that he’s quick to point out when another child has broken the rules. But the thing is, he doesn’t do it in a nasty tattle-tale way; there’s something almost nurturing about the way he points out people’s mistakes and indiscretions. It’s quite a spectacle, really.
* Ayden knows everyone. “Hey lady…hey lady” …. How dare you walk past me and not acknowledge my presence. “See what I got…..”, hey look at me, talk to me, or at least smile and nod. Heaven forbid anyone should not speak to him at least for one minute.
*Consider Ayden armed at bedtime with delay tactics. There is always that sudden burst of energy that comes when it is time to go to sleep. "I need water, I gotta tell you sumpin, or I gotta see what Daddy is doing". It is amazing how long it takes to sort through the delaying.
LEAH'S QUIRKS:
*I don’t want to eat off your fork or eat the food that you have already eaten off of or drink your drink. And as much as I love ice cream, I will not take a lick off of anyone else’s cone. Please don’t ask me to taste yours. Nope. Not me. Gross.
*I eat one thing on my plate at a time – my food may not touch – and I tend to eat in circles, layers, or other pattern like ways. I also love ketchup....hmmm....ketchup on chips, potatoes, green beans. You name it and I most likely can eat ketchup on it. Well, maybe?
*I have a tendency to think out loud. Talk to myself and even answer myself. I have no problem doing this, even in public! I never write a shopping list, merely wander along the aisles asking myself which groceries I may need that week. Yes, I know I am "special" my family tells me all the time.
*I like to sing! I have absolutely no claim to being a good singer, but I like to sing anyway.
*Bugs (even dead) and dirt are not my thing. I don’t want to be dirty and if I see a spider the size of an end of a pen …. It is GIANT! You really DON’T expect me to pick up a dead bug, do you?
CHRIS' QUIRKS:
*A self-inflicted dirt magnet.....it doesn't matter how far away the dirt is Chris will be wearing it if he comes within a hundred feet of it. (I think it helps the "sock garden" grow. If you don't know about "sock gardens" remind me to tell you what they are.)
*If there is a possibility to be addicted to hunting, fishing, or watching hunting and fishing; Chris is the prime example.
*If the opportunity was given, Chris would press snooze on an alarm clock a minimum of five times each morning.
*If Chris needs to find a particular item, especially in the kitchen, he will simply question the location....prior to even looking. (Hey, where is the juice?.....Did you try the fridge?....hmmm, or maybe I decided to put it in the dishwasher today.)
*Chris loves to talk. **I guess we know where Ayden gets it from.** He says he hates to talk on the phone, but somehow his phone conversations always run ten to fifteen to twenty minutes even.
*Chris' belly works on an internal clock. As soon as the clock strikes 12pm, you should be eating lunch. It really doesn't matter if breakfast was late (after 9am).....you eat lunch at 12pm promptly. If he doesn't get fed at the proper times; he is a major Grump (with a capital G)!
These are just a few of ours to get you started….I encourage you to embrace your quirks, because after all they are what make you, YOU!
1 comment:
The photos are great....
Orange shirt, happy face, in motion, excellant...oh yea !!
"Photos", is my quirk, nice BLOG
Love Great Grands
Post a Comment